Monday, October 17, 2011

Chicken Scraps

Another building project is done for now.....what to do with all the scraps? Hmmmmmm so many scraps, so little time until Christmas.  Maybe I can cross one gift off my list.   I will make my good friends a chicken basket and put some     homemade raspberry wine    Private Label Estate Wine   in the basket.
 They will soon enter the world of eggs and poop and you can't have one without the other. We used to have a   poop coop,   ahem, chicken coop.  Collecting eggs was a daily chore along with feeding them of course.  I used to search for a basket for collecting eggs. One can never have too many baskets.    Anyways,  I don't even know why I have trailed off, as this basket wont be much use for collecting eggs but it will nicely hold a bottle of fine estate wine.
Here we go.
Step one is to cut any kind of wood you can scrounge . I am using my scrap  3/4" plywood as I hate to waste wood.

Material List
2- 6"x 9 1/2" pieces for sides
2- 6"x8" pieces for sides
1- 8"x8" piece for bottom
1 10"x10" for the head and tail
* I used 3/4 inch plywood.  If you use another width of
wood you must adjust your measurements accordingly*

Cut out the chicken head and tail with a scroll saw.  Cut out the 4 side parts and 1 base piece, with a table saw or circular saw.







Sand all edges smooth.  Your friends don't want slivers for Christmas. Silver maybe, well for sure they would want silver, but not slivers.


Glue and screw head and tail onto the sides that are 6"X8" as shown in photo.   This will be the front and back piece.



Countersink screws.

Drill two holes for your wire handle on the two big sides as shown  (the pieces without the head and tail).
 


I glued, nailed, and screwed all my sides and bottom together to make a square box.





Cut a piece of heavy wire 3 1/2 to 4  feet long.  Bend it in half.  Place one end in a drill and the other end in a vise or clamp it so that it will not move.  Turn drill on and twist wire until desired amount of twist is in it.  Bend each end so that it will stay in the holes you drilled in your side pieces.  If you find the handle too long, simply cut it to desired length.

Fill all your screw holes with wood filler, and this is where I have left  off.  I will show it completed when I figure out what color I need to paint it.  ....... Stay tuned for part 2 of Chicken Scraps.



Have A Great Day
Oonga
Sisterkins
Linking Up With
Making





Boogieboard Cottage

Home Stories A2Z

No comments:

Post a Comment